Updated: 05/03/2022 – 06:49
Culinary trip to Asia
Spicy Teriyaki Bowl with Eggplant, Avocado and Rice
Conjure up this dish today and at the same time take a trip to faraway Asia as you stir the teriyaki sauce and let yourself be carried away by faraway flavors.
And here’s how it’s done:
- Start by washing the rice well, then cook it in plenty of salted water until cooked. Meanwhile, take the edamame out of the freezer.
- Wash the eggplant and the spring onion. Cut the eggplant into cubes and the spring onions into rings. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Now prepare the marinade. Mix the soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar and agave or maple syrup. Then pour over the eggplant cubes and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and sauté the diced aubergines. Roast the pine nuts in a second pan.
- Meanwhile, peel the avocado and cut the flesh into strips or cubes.
- Now lay out the bowl: fill the rice, eggplant, avocado and edamame into two bowls and sprinkle with spring onions and pine nuts.
In many cities, more and more restaurants are opening their doors and offering so-called “bowls”. Large bowls in which there is space for all kinds of delicious ingredients and are served with aromatic dips or sauces. Our teriyaki bowl shows you don’t have to go to a restaurant for that. It is prepared in half an hour and tastes wonderfully spicy.
The advantage of bowls like this: in principle, you can change the basic recipe at any time. For example, if you don’t have eggplant at home, but zucchini, replace one with the other vegetable. Next time, instead of rice, you can cook glass noodles and serve them with the teriyaki bowl.
One ingredient that may have caught your eye is mirin. Sweet rice wine is sweeter than sake, but on the other hand contains less alcohol. If you can’t find mirin, use sake and mix it with 3:1 maple syrup instead, or buy ready-made teriyaki sauce from the grocery store.
Our teriyaki bowl isn’t the only thing that proves just how diverse Asian cuisine is. We have collected some ideas for you in the following gallery that you should definitely try:
Are you more of an animated image type? No problem either, in our video we show you another recipe from Asia:
Visit our thematic pages if you want to discover more vegan recipes or dishes from Asian cuisine.
AD: Why not just have your next purchase delivered to your home? Click here for the REWE Online Shop >>