Some works of art cannot be found in the museum. And there are no entrance fees. But for some, you have to go to university. To Helmut Kreutzer, for example.
Every day, students at Saarland University in Saarbrücken have the opportunity to see a wide variety of works of art in their surroundings. Because there are sculptures, reliefs or wall drawings by well-known Saarland artists from the 1960s to the present day spread all over the campus.
Most of the artworks are freely accessible, but sometimes they are also located in courtyards. This also applies to the relief drawings of building B4 1, the Faculty of Law and Economics with the maximum auditorium. The reinforced concrete building was erected between 1959 and 1964 by Rolf Heinz Lamour, Albert Dietz and Bernhard Grothe.
The concrete reliefs of the two walls of the amphitheaters in the courtyards were created by Helmut Kreutzer in 1961. The concrete reliefs are 60 meters long and five meters high, they extend the full length of the walls. With their monochromatic white coloring and their sober shape, they characterize the architectural setting of the interior courtyards.
The walls were divided into square segments by Helmut Kreutzer, which were designed with more or less geometric shapes. These geometric shapes alternate in horizontal and vertical elevations, they divide the wall into two sculptural levels. Sometimes the shapes of the flat reliefs are executed in a grid, sometimes the large-scale shapes emphasize the square segments by forming rectangles and assembled squares.
Nevertheless, the two walls are designed in a reserved way, due to their length the entire area can hardly be surveyed at a glance. Nevertheless, the eye wanders along the relief, rejoices in the variety of drawing, perceives different shapes.
Unfortunately, the current state is disturbed by regularly installed vertical aluminum gutters, individual ivy tendrils also limit the overall impression.
The reliefs were designed by the freelance architect Helmut Kreutzer, who was born in Homburg in 1930. Helmut Kreutzer graduated from the Technical University with Prof. Egon Eiermann and Prof. Büchner in 1955 with a diploma. He is a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and the Bund Deutscher Architekten. From 1966 to 1975 he worked with Johann Peter Lüth and Josef von Waldbott under the name “Wergruppe 3”, together with Peter Lüth Helmut Kreutzer also designed the Deutsche Bank building in St. Ingbert and the Friedrichsthal kindergarten .)